Thursday, September 4, 2014

Easy Homemade Donuts


Try not to drool.



!!WARNING!! If you are looking for a healthy recipe, then click out of this page. But, if you want something simple and delicious, then you have come to the right place.  These donuts are the opposite of healthy. They are a rare treat for us, probably because I'm conscious of the calories and sugar and whatnot (delicious, delicious calories). I remember my Pop making these for us a few times when we were younger.





For dinner, I was making this Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings and the recipe actually calls for 2 cans of biscuits and I only use a little more than half of one, so I needed to find a way to use the rest. (PS, if you want the recipe for the chicken and dumplings, you can find it here..


So here's the recipe I use for the donuts...here, listen closely.


1 can biscuits
Shortening or canola oil.
1/2 cup of sugar (I recommend granulate, I tried powdered once and it turned out soggy and weird.)
Cinnamon. 


Preheat a pan or a small pot of shortening or oil on medium (honestly I would recommend shortening over oil, but oil was all I had so I used that but with shortening, they would absorb less (does that make sense? No? Just go with your gut). You can have a lot in there or you can about 1/4 to 1/2 an inch. That's what I do.



These are the biscuits I used. One time, we use the ones with honey in them and they were delish!


You can cut your biscuits into strips (or logs or whatever you want to call them) or little nuggets (of course, then you would have to call them donuggets *snort*)


Before putting them in the oil you can test the oil by just pinching off a small piece and putting it in the oil/shortening. If it immediately sizzles and rises to the top, it should be ready. Then, go ahead and put a few more in there. Don't over crowd it though, leave an inch or two or space between each one. This will go really quick so stay on top of them, check the bottoms and when they are golden brown, flip them. I like to set them on a paper towel for a minute after they are done frying.




Mix together some sugar and cinnamon (I only like a little cinnamon, so this part is totally up to you...go crazy)


Then, they are done, and ready to be enjoyed!



I think Taylor liked them. Isn't he handsome?


You can eat this with a spoon if you want to. ;]









3 comments:

  1. We have one question, why weren't we invited over when you made these!? jk ;D

    This looks SO good and we can't wait to try making them! :) :)

    ReplyDelete